Bacon-Pepper Stuffed Squash ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from www.tasteofhome.com)
2 quarts water
2 medium summer squash (yellow or zucchini)
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
3 Tbsp. chopped pepper (any kind, but hot ones are better)
2 Tbsp. butter, divided
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
¼ cup milk
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
4 Tbsp. crumbled cooked bacon, divided
1/8 tsp. pepper
¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and ½ tsp. salt to a boil; add squash; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell; invert shells on paper towel.
- In a saucepan, sauté onion and peppers in 1 Tbsp. butter.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk; bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add ¼ cup cheese, 2 Tbsp. bacon, pepper, and remaining salt.
- Drain reserved squash pulp and stir into bacon mixture; spoon into shells.
- Place in lightly greased baking dish or dishes.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over squash.
- Bake uncovered at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon, and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.