Sausage & Chicken Gumbo ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe by Kael Harvey in Feb/Mar 2017 Simple & Delicious)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup canola oil
3 cups chicken broth
1 small pkg. popcorn shrimp, thawed (if desired)*
1 pkg. (14 oz.) polska kielbasa, cut into ½-inch slices
1 cup frozen okra
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp. white pepper
¼ tsp. salt
¼ to ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you want it)
2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken (I use chicken breast packed in water,
1 large can and 1 small – add it all, including water, when directed)
Hot cooked rice (if desired)
- In a heavy saucepan, mix flour and oil until smooth; cook and stir over medium heat until light brown in color, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook and stir until dark reddish brown, about 15 minutes (do not burn).
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, stirring constantly; transfer to slow-cooker.
- Stir in sausage, vegetables, garlic, and seasonings; cook, covered, in slow-cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in chicken and continue cooking for another hour.
- You can add thawed shrimp when you add in the chicken, if desired.*
- Can be served as a soup or over rice.