Search This Site:

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Treasures Deep in the Recipe Box

I was trying to figure out what to make for supper earlier this week and coming up with nothing, so I started going through one of my recipe boxes to see if anything sounded good. I came across a recipe I wrote done in either the late 1970s or early 1980s. My memory is shot, but I *think* it originally came from Lora. 

St. Paul's Casserole

  • 1 lb. sausage, browned and drained
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup raw rice (NOT instant)
  • 2 packages chicken noodle soup mix
  • 1 cup green pepper, diced
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 1 4oz. can mushrooms, drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil the water, add rice and soup mixes, and boil another 7 minutes. Mix all ingredients together and put all in a greased casserole dish. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.

This is super simple and super good. Chuck said, "I remember this; we haven't had it in decades. It's a keeper for sure!"

So, little ones, next time you're stuck for an idea for dinner, mine through your recipe box...you might be pleasantly surprised by the gems you find in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment