Snowball Cookies ala ~DKBB~
(“Russian Teacakes” original recipe from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook, rev. 1978)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4½ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
1½ cups finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Mix margarine/butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Shift flour and salt together.
- Mix in flour (and nuts, if desired) in 1-cup batches until dough holds together (I get in there with my hands to get it all mixed well).
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place about 1 inch apart on parchment-covered cookie sheet.
- Bake until set but not brown, 10 to 12 minutes (or 12 to 18 minutes on airbake cookie sheets).
- Cool 5 minutes, then roll each cookie in powdered sugar while still a bit warm.
- Roll in powdered sugar again.
- Makes 4 to 6 dozen cookies (depending on how big you make each cookie ball).
These cookies are a favorite in my family. I usually make 4 or more batches during the course of the holidays. Enjoy!