Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe by Erica Ingram from Oct/Nov 2015 Simple & Delicious)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 poblano or paseíllo pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. flour
½ to 1 tsp. cumin
½ to 1 tsp. smoked paprika
⅛ tsp. salt
⅔ cup milk
4 oz. cream cheese, softened or cubed
1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
1 cup shredded chicken
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
1 pkg. (8½ oz.) cornbread/muffin mix
Sliced black olives and/or sliced jalapeños for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; add pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes until peppers are tender.
- Mix flour and seasonings together; stir this into peppers and onions, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese; add in pepperjack cheese, chicken, and green chilies; heat through, stirring well to combine.
- Transfer to lightly greased 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; spread all over chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving; serve with olives and/or jalapeños if desired.