Crockpot Asian Ribs ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe by Julie Ko, in the Feb/Mar 2013 edition of Simple & Delicious magazine)
1⅓ cups packed brown sugar
1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
¼ cup minced fresh gingerroot
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup water
Fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
½ to 1 can water chestnuts, diced
Thinly sliced green onions
Sesame seeds (optional)
- Place ribs in 6-qt. crockpot.
- Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, oil, minced gingerroot, garlic, and pepper flakes in small bowl and mix well.
- Pour mixture over ribs and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove meat to covered dish while you create the sauce.
- Skim the fat off the sauce remaining in the crockpot and transfer skimmed sauce to saucepan.
- Add diced water chestnuts and pineapple chunks; bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water in jar; shake very well; add mixture gradually to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve ribs on a bed of rice, covering all with sauce. Garnish with green onion slices and sesame seeds, if desired.