Madame Audier’s Roast ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from Madame Helen Audier, French and World History
Cody High School teacher, mentor, and friend extraordinaire)1 4-to-5 lb. beef roast
2 cloves garlic, sliced
Fresh cracked pepper
Veggies if desired (potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, cabbage*)
The secret to this scrumptious roast is the slow roasting; cooking time is 4 to 6 hours. Preheat oven to 260° F.
- Stab the meat randomly and insert garlic slices (do this on both/all sides of the roast).
- Salt and pepper all surfaces of the roast.
- Place the prepared roast in a roasting pan and put in oven uncovered.
- After 1½ hours, check the roast and adjust the temperature if needed (a larger roast may need a bit hotter oven – 275° F); add 1 cup water; cover and return to oven.
- Check hourly, adding water as needed.
- If you want to roast veggies with it, add them at least 2 hours before you expect the roast to be done). *Add the cabbage (if desired) about 1 hour (or less) before you expect the roast to be done.
- You can add cornstarch mixed with cold water to thicken the juice for gravy if desired, or just use the au jus as is.