Shakshuka with Feta ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe by Melissa Clark)
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), seeded and diced
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. spicy paprika
⅛ tsp. cayenne
14 oz. can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped (or ½ 28 oz. can)
¼ tsp. salt, more as needed
¼ tsp. black pepper, more as needed
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 large eggs
Chopped cilantro and hot sauce, for serving
Corn tortillas, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium-low heat; add onion and pepper; cook until tender; add garlic and cook additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, paprika, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened (about 10 minutes), then stir in crumbled feta.
- Make divots for eggs and gently crack eggs into them; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce and warm corn tortillas.