Hawaiian Chicken with Fruit &Veggie Kabobs ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from Cooking Light January 2011)
¾ cup pineapple juice
1 small can crushed pineapple
5 Tbsp. ketchup
5 Tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
3 to 4 tsp. minced (peeled) ginger
5 garlic cloves, minced or chopped
½ to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (or to taste)
4 (6 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Cooking spray (for grill pan)
Pineapple (and any other fruit you’d like) cut in chunks to fit on skewers
Veggies (green peppers, onions, and any other veggies you’d like) cut in chunks to fit on skewers
- Combine first 7 ingredients to create marinade.
- Place ¼ cup marinade in a zip-loc bag with the chicken breasts and seal the bag. Chill 4 or more hours.
- One hour before you are ready to grill the chicken, toss ¼ cup of remaining marinade with veggies/fruits in zip-loc bag and chill. After 1 hour, remove veggies/fruit from bag and place on prepared skewers.
- When you are ready to grill the chicken and the skewers (using either a grill pan [sprayed with cooking spray] on the stove or a charcoal or gas grill), remove chicken from the bag, discarding marinade that remains in the bag. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place it (and the skewers) on grill (or grill pan) and baste it with 2 Tbsp. of reserved marinade. Cook 6 minutes. Turn chicken over; salt, pepper, and baste, cook 6 minutes.
- Cook fruit/veggie kabobs to desired texture/doneness.