Egg & Squash Brunch Casserole
(adapted from a recipe by Liz Shenk in the Sept. 2011 relish magazine)
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 glove garlic, chopped
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 medium yellow squash, sliced
½ cup half-&-half
½ to 1 tsp. salt
½ to 1 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
½ package peppered bacon bits
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet and cook 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash; cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With slotted spoon, transfer mixture to a buttered 2-quart casserole.
- Combine eggs, half-&-half, salt, pepper, thyme, and bacon bits.
- Pour egg mixture over squash in casserole dish and mix well.
- Bake 35 minutes.
For optional topping:
- Remove from oven and top with panko breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Place under broiler and broil until brown, about 3 minutes.