Mexicali Hamburger Casserole ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from Better Homes & Gardens)
1½ lb. lean ground beef
½ small onion, diced
½ each of at least 4 different peppers, diced (red, green, yellow, orange, Anaheim, pablano, pasidlla…whatever floats your boat)
½ to 1 small can green chilies, drained (optional)
½ to 1 small can sliced olives, drained (optional)
1 can Mexican-style diced tomatoes, drained
12 oz. pkg. frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp. sugar
1¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. turmeric
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. coriander
½ tsp. dried cilantro
⅔ cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium to large skillet cook and brown beef with peppers and onion; drain off fat.
- Stir undrained tomatoes, thawed corn, hamburger, peppers and onions (and green chilies and/or sliced olives) together.
- Pour all into greased 2- to 3-qt. baking dish and top with ⅔ cup shredded cheese.
- For corn bread topping: in medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Stir in egg, milk, and oil. Evenly spread on beef mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is set. Let stand 5 minutes.