Radish Greens Dal ~ala~ DKBB
(original recipe by Jiya Jesh)
When your garden gives you radishes, don’t toss out those radish greens!
4 cups chopped radish greens
1 large onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
4 oz. diced Hatch green chilis
1 tsp. finely chopped ginger
½ tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
¼ to ½ tsp. cayenne
Curry of choice to taste
2 Tbsp. oil
Salt to taste
- Wash the radish leaves thoroughly, then finely chop the washed leaves and set aside.
- Rinse the split yellow lentils; cook per package directions.
- Heat oil in skillet; add mustard seeds; when mustard seed sputter, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds start to crackle and slightly change color, add in the onions, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, curry, and green chilies; sauté until onions are tender; add in tomatoes and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped radish leaves and salt; cover with a lid and cook on medium low until radish leaves are wilted and incorporate (2 to 4 minutes).
- Drain lentils and mash; add to skillet and cook on medium low heat for 5 to 10 minutes to fully incorporate flavors (add water if needed).