1 cup peeled and diced carrots
½ cup butter, cubed
½ to 1 cup chopped onion
½ to 1 cup sliced celery
1 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. white pepper
½ to 1 tsp. dried thyme
¼ to ½ tsp. rubbed sage
¼ to ½ tsp. smoked paprika
1½ cups chicken broth
¾ cup milk
3 to 4 cups cooked chicken (I used canned white chicken breast, drained)
1 to 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 frozen pie crust -and- 1 refrigerated pie crust per pie*
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Place potatoes and carrots in large saucepan and add water to cover; bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook, covered for 8-10 minutes or until veggies are crisp-tender; drain.
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery, sauté until tender.
- Stir in flour and all seasonings until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened; stir chicken, peas, corn, and potatoes/carrots into mixture; remove from heat.
- Pour chicken mixture into pie; place pastry sheet over top of pie pan, trimming and fluting edges; cut slits in top. Repeat for second pie.*
- Egg wash the top of the pie you are baking.
- Bake on baking sheet (as pie may run over) 35-40 minutes; at 20 minutes left, cover pie with loose foil to avoid crust burning. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
*Freeze Option: Cover and freeze unbaked pie. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before taking (but do not completely thaw). Preheat oven to 425° F. Place pie on baking sheet; cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes; reduce oven setting to 350° F and bake 70-80 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165° F.