Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from Cooking Light)
2 cups finely shredded carrots
⅓ cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. Canola oil
1 tsp. grated orange rind
½ cup raisins (optional)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup unbleached flour
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine shredded carrots and brown sugar in bowl; toss well; let stand 5 minutes.
- If using raisins, put them in small bowl and water and microwave on high until water boils; drain off all water and cool a bit.
- Place butter in microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds or until melted; add oil, orange rind, vanilla, and egg; whisk until well combined.
- If using raisins, add the drained, cooled raisins to the carrots and brown sugar, tossing to mix well.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl; whisk well.
- Add carrot mixture and butter mixture to flour mixture; stir just until combined.
- Drop dough by tablespoonful 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure you end up with an even number of cookies.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until cookies are set and crisp and around the edges.
- Remove pan from oven and let stand 3 minutes; after 3 minutes, remove cookies from pan onto wire rack(s); let cookies cool completely before assembling into cookies sandwiches.
4 oz. ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, softened
¼ tsp. vanilla
⅛ tsp. salt
1 cup powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients in medium mixing bowl and beat with mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed 1 minutes or until well combined (do not overbeat).
- Spread 1 Tbsp. (or more, use your judgment) on flat side of cookie and top with flat side of another cookie to create a cookie sandwich; repeat with remaining cookies and filling.