Spinach & Artichoke Pizza ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe by Raymonde Borgeois in Apr/May 2015 Taste of Home magazine)
1¾ cups wheat (or unbleached) flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. each dried basil, oregano, and parsley flakes
¾ to 1 cup beer (or nonalcoholic beer)
1½ tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tube tomato paste
2 cups shredded Italian, pizza, or mozzarella cheese
Pizza seasoning spices (your choice)
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 can (14 oz.) water-packed quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
¼ cup green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425° F; grease pan of choice (pizza pan or medium cookie sheet).
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and dried herbs until blended; add beer, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface; knead gently 6 to 8 times, added flour as needed; roll out dough to fit pan of choice; press dough out to fill pan, pinching edges a bit to form a rim.
- Bake 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Mix oil and minced garlic, spread over crust.
- Spread tomato paste over crust with spatula; sprinkle with pizza seasoning spices of your choice.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup cheese; layer spinach, artichokes, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until crust is golden and cheese is melted.