Roasted Cauliflower Soup ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from food.com)
2 heads cauliflower
3 garlic cloves, left whole
2 shallots, chopped in larger pieces
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup water
½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
2 cups heavy cream
Fine sea salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven 425° F.
- Cut cauliflower into 1-inch flowerets (about 10 cups).
- In a large baking pan, toss cauliflower, garlic, and shallots with olive oil to coat and roast in middle of oven about 30 minutes, or until golden brown, turning frequently and removing any garlic and/or shallots if they are done sooner.
- In a 4-quart pot, simmer chicken stock/broth, water, roasted cauliflower mixture, and herbs for 30 minutes or until cauliflower if very tender.
- Discard bay leaf, and in blender puree the soup in batches until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring batches to a bowl.
- Return pureed soup to pot and stir in cream, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Heat over moderate heat until just heated through.
(Note: You can easily alter the proportions of stock, water, and cream to taste.)