Lemon and Pea Alfredo ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe GDL Italian by Giada, Horseshoe Baltimore
in Wine Spectator, July 31, 2018 edition)
|Original photo from Wine Spectator|
16 oz. fusilli col buco pasta
3 Tbsp. butter
½ cup pasta water
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ½ cups grated Parmigiano
1 cup mascarpone cheese
2 tsp. lemon zest
¾ tsp. kosher salt
1½ cups frozen peas, thawed
1 small can mushrooms, drained (optional)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil over high heat; add in the pasta and cook until just under al dente (about 10 to 11 minutes). When done, you will add the (drained) pasta directly to the sauce.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large, straight-sided skillet over medium heat, adding in the butter; when the butter is melted, add the minced garlic and cook on low, stirring often until soft and fragrant; add ½ cup of pasta water and reduce heat to low.
- Add the mascarpone, lemon zest, and salt to the sauce; mix well to melt mascarpone.
- When pasta is done, drain it thoroughly and add it directly to the sauce, combining with sauce; sprinkle with 1½ cups of grade Parmigiano and peas (and mushrooms, if using), stirring well to combine; add pasta water to thin if necessary.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmigiano cheese and fresh cracked pepper, if desired.