Argentinian Pumpkin Stew ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from several online sources, including TasteofHome.com and Cooking.com)
2 lb. beef stew meat, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 lg. tomatoes or 4 roma tomatoes, chopped -or- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes (your choice to drain or not)
1 lg. green pepper, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 to 1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. sugar
2 c. dried apricots, each cut in half
3 white potatoes, peeled & diced
3 sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
2 to 4 tsp. capers
2 c. beef broth
1 medium sized pumpkin
2 to 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- In large pot/dutch oven cook beef with onion and garlic in oil until browned.
- Add tomatoes and green pepper, salt, pepper, sugar, apricots, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, capers, and broth.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, cut off pumpkin top and discard. Scoop out seeds and stringy membrane.
- Brush inside of pumpkin with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Stir sherry and corn into stew and spoon into pumpkin shell.
- Place filled shell in shallow pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 to 2 hours or until pumpkin meat is tender.
- Place pumpkin in large bowl and ladle out stew, scooping out some of the pumpkin with each serving. Makes 8-12 servings.