Shrimp Pasta ala ~DKBB~
1 lb. medium
frozen shrimp (tails on)
2 Tbsp. Cajun
2 Tbsp. lime juice
½ tsp. garlic
8 oz. uncooked
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
½ large (red)
onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
3 small bell
peppers (any colors) OR 1 large bell pepper (any color), thinly sliced
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
⅛ to ¼ tsp. cayenne
2 Tbsp. flour
3 to 4 garlic
1½ cups chicken
½ cup heavy cream
1 14 oz. can
fire-roasted tomatoes, well drained
½ cup grated
Parmigiana Reggiano cheese
- Thaw shrimp; add to medium bowl and toss well with 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning, 1 Tbsp. lime juice, and ½ tsp. garlic powder; set aside.
- Cook fettuccine in salted water according to package directions until al dente, reserving ½ cup pasta water, then drain well and set aside.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy bottom skillet; add shrimp and spread in even layer, cooking 3 to 4 minutes – just until shrimp are heated through – flipping shrimp half way through cooking; set aside. After shrimp has cooled, you can chop the tails off if you desire.
- To the now empty pan, melt 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat; add onions, bell peppers, 1 to 3 tsp. Cajun seasoning (your heat preference), salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper; cook for 2 to 4 minutes; add garlic, sprinkle in flour, and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and whisk in chicken broth and heavy cream, stirring constantly until smooth; stir in diced tomatoes.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring sauce to a simmer; simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 Tbsp. lime juice and the cooked shrimp and pasta until well coated in sauce, adding additional reserved pasta water or heavy cream if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt, pepper, and/or cayenne pepper as desired.
- Serve with a garnish of grated Parmigiana Reggiano cheese.
NOTE: Adding cooked, sliced andouille sausage knock this dish up a notch.