Blackened Roast Chicken ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe by Sam Talbot)
|Photo from People magazine|
1 (2½ to 3 lb.) whole chicken
1 Tbsp. smoked and/or spicy paprika
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
½ bunch fresh thyme sprigs, tied together with kitchen string
¼ cup olive oil
1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375° F, or preheat Traeger or grill.
- Remove chicken giblets (save for another use or discard -your choice); rinse chicken off and pat dry with paper towel; place chicken in small roasting pan.
- Stir together paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, lemon zest, and cayenne pepper in medium bowl; cut lemons in fourths and add them and the thyme bundle to the mixture; toss to coat well.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium heat; add shallot and cook, stirring often until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cooked shallot and oil to seasoning mixture; stir/toss well to combine.
- Remove lemons and thyme bundle and place them in cavity of chicken; rub remaining mixture over chicken and under skin on the breasts.
- Roast chicken until thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 165° F, about 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove chicken from heat; remove thyme and lemons from cavity; if desired, squeeze lemon over chicken and garnish with untied thyme; let chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.