Colcannon ala ~DKBB~
4 small to medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 leek, sliced in half then cut in ¼ to ½ inch pieces, washed and well drained
1 small head of cabbage, diced
4 to 6 slices of bacon
- Boil the potatoes in salted water; when done, mash them well with a little milk and butter.
- Cook the bacon; drain well and set aside to cool a bit.
- In the bacon grease, sauté the leeks and the cabbage until well cooked.
- Cut the cooled bacon into small pieces and add to the leek/cabbage mixture.
- Fold the mashed potatoes into the leek/cabbage/bacon mixture and allow all to heat together for a few minutes.
Serve this with some Irish Soda Bread for a great St. Patrick's Day dinner.