Skillet Mexican Brown Rice Meal ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from www.cooknourishbliss.com)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper (or Anaheim pepper), chopped
2 to 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
1½ cups frozen corn
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. smoked paprika
Pinch of cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
¼ to ½ tsp. cayenne
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 cup quick cook brown rice*
1 (14 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained well
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 to 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro (if desired)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; when hot, add onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until onion starts to soften.
- Add in peppers, corn, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne; cook for about 5 minutes, until veggies are all tender.
- Add in tomato paste and rice; cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in drained tomatoes, black beans, and veggie broth; stir well, then bring to a boil.
- Once boil is achieved, turn down the heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until almost all of the broth has been absorbed by the rice and the rice is tender.
- Remove cover and sprinkle cheese over the top; re-cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
You can garnish each serving with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
Post a Comment