Green Chile Cream Sauce ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from www.thekittchen.com)3 to 4 poblano or pasilla or hot hatch chili peppers (or a combination thereof)
1 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ small onion, chopped
¼ c. chicken broth
1 c. heavy cream
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. white pepper
½ to ¾ c. sour cream
- Start by roasting the peppers: Put them directly over the flame of a gas burner, rotating until all the skin is charred, then place them in a covered bowl for 15 minutes, letting the peppers sweat off the charred skin a bit; after 15 minutes, peel off the skin and loosely chop the peppers, discarding the seeds (unless you want hotter sauce).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic, cooking until they are translucent; add the chicken broth and cream and bring to a boil; then add the chopped peppers and let boil and reduce for 6 minutes.
- Poor the pepper mixture into a blender and liquify; season with the cumin, salt, and white pepper and ½ cup sour cream; blend all to combine; add more sour cream and/or salt to taste and blend.
- Use as enchilada sauce (esp. with chicken enchiladas).
- Use on chimichangas.
- Use with tacos or fajitas.
- Use with Mexican Eggs Benedict (recipe on this blog).