Mexi-Beef Cornbread Casserole ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe “Chili Beef Corn Bread Casserole” from Dec/Jan 2014 issue of Simple & Delicious)
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. chili powder
Cumin and/or turmeric to taste (⅛ to ¼ tsp. of either or both)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (Mexican style, if available)
1 can diced tomatoes w/green chilies
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornmeal (yellow preferred, but white will work too)
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ cup milk
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 can cream-style corn
1 cup shredded cheese (Mexi-blend or cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Brown hamburger, onion, green pepper, and garlic over medium heat; drain.
- Stir in cornstarch, chili powder, cumin/turmeric, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened; remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and oil until blended; stir in cream-style corn.
- Add the flower mixture to the egg mixture; stir just until moistened; then stir in cheese.
- Spread half the batter in the bottom of a greased 3 qt. casserole dish, then layer in the beef mixture; top all with the remainder of the batter, covering the beef filling.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the corn bread portion comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.