Cheesy Steak Bake ala ~DKBB~
(my version of a tried and true recipe)
1 lb. steak tips (or, you can cut a round steak into 1” chunks)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup fontina or gruyere cheese, shredded
6 slices bacon
8 oz. fresh mushroom slices
2 small white onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ Tbsp. herbs de Provence
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: 1 pkg. Simply Potatoes diced potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry (do NOT let the bacon get crispy as it will be baked further later); remove from pan and allow bacon to drain.
- In a large skillet over high heat, sear the steak until browned on all sides; if using, add diced potatoes now.
- In bacon pan, remove excess bacon grease, leaving about 1 Tbsp., and sauté onion slices and mushrooms on low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste; add garlic in last 2 minutes.
- Place steak pieces (and diced potatoes, if using) in a large baking dish, sprinkle with bacon pieces and sautéed veggie mixture; cover with shredded cheese; sprinkle all with herbs de Provence.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and steak pieces are cooked through.
The leftovers are wicked good warmed up and served with a poached or fried egg on top. If you did not use the diced potatoes in your recipe, serve this gastric delight over a bed of hash browns.
Post a Comment