Shepherd’s Pie ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe in Dec. 2016 Cooking Light)
1½ cups beef stock
2 Tbsp. flour (I prefer Wondra)
1 tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. white pepper
12 to 16 oz. ground beef (at least 90% lean)
1 onion, chopped
1½ tsp. ground thyme
1½ tsp. minced garlic
2 4oz. cans of mushroom pieces, drained
¼ cup cooking sherry
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. kosher salt
2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
2 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Combine beef stock, flour, and peppers in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook ground beef and onion in cast iron skillet over medium high heat until browned, stirring to crumble; stir in thyme, garlic, and mushrooms and cook 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; stir in sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and salt; cook 3 minutes.
- Add stock mixture and bring all to a boil; cook 4 minutes or until thickened; stir in peas.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the beef mixture; bake at 450° F for 15 minutes, then turn on broiler (do not remove pan from oven) and broil for 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool just a bit before serving.