Mexican Shepherd’s Pie ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe, based on a dish from Blue Corn Café in Santa Fe, NM)
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
1 small jalapeño, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans fiesta or mexi corn, drained
1 can diced Hatch green chilies
½ to 1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cumin
½ to 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
½ to 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
Mashed potatoes (enough to generously cover the top of the casserole)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Peel and boil potatoes (4 to 6 medium-sized); when cook thoroughly, drain and mash with a little milk and butter; set aside.
- Brown ground beef with onion, green pepper, and jalapeño; drain excess grease; add salt and pepper to taste; add in black beans, corn, green chilies, and spices; mix well and warm all through.
- In a 9x13 (3 qt.) glass baking pan, place the meat/vegetable mixture, top that with the cheese, then spread a good layer of mashed potatoes over all.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (until potatoes are getting brown on the top).
- Serve with salsa of choice (green is best, however).
Post a Comment