Root Vegetable and Chicken Curry ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from www.theroastedroot.net)
2 skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. coconut oil (or oil of choice)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1½ Tbsp. grated ginger (or 1 big squeeze of Squeezable Ginger)
1 to 2 turnips, diced to ½” cubes
1 to 2 rutabagas, diced to ½” cubes (peel as needed)
1 parsnip, peeled, diced to ½” cubes
1tsp. cumin seeds
1 to 3 Tbsp. curry (any kind…your choice)
1 can coconut milk
- Cook the chicken breasts as you desire (broil, grill, fry in a small amount of oil), then remove from heat and allow to cool before cutting into 1” cubes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet (or wok), sauté onion and cumin seeds in the oil over medium heat until the onion is softened and beginning to turn translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add the root vegetables and sauté 5 to 8 minutes before adding ¼ cup of the coconut milk; continue cooking 2 minutes, allowing the coconut milk to evaporate, then add in another ¼ cup and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- Add an additional ¼ cup coconut milk – by now the root vegetables should be softening a bit; once the vegetables are cooked through (but not completely mushy), add all the remaining coconut milk and the curry, stirring to incorporate.
- Allow all to come to a gentle boil and cook a few more minutes before adding in the chicken; cook all on low for about 5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve over rice (brown, white…your choice).