Macaroni and Cheese ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from www.pioneerwoman.com)
2 cups dried macaroni1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour (I use Wondra flour for sauces like this)
1¼ cups milk
1 (heaping) tsp. dry mustard
¾ lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (you can use any cheese/cheese mixture you desire; I prefer sharp or extra sharp cheddar)
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. ground thyme
⅛ to ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. seasoned salt (optional)
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni until very firm (macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot); drain.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg well.
- In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour; whisk together over medium-low heat; cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly (don’t let it burn).
- Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth; cook for five minutes until very thick; reduce heat to low.
- Take ¼ cup sauce and very slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking egg; whisk together until smooth.
- Poor egg mixture into the sauce, whisking constantly; stir until smooth.
- Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- Add salt, pepper, and spices as desired; taste sauce and add more seasonings as desired (do NOT under salt).
- Pour cheese sauce into cooked, drained macaroni and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately (very creamy), OR pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in a 350° F oven until bubbly and golden on top.
Post a Comment