Mediterranean Casserole Dinner ala ~DKBB and CHB~
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1.5-inch pieces
2 boneless country-style pork ribs, cut into 1.5-inch pieces
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely grated or minced
1 tsp. pimento de la Vera (smoked sweet Spanish paprika)
Fresh cracked pepper
Pinch of saffron, finely ground in mortar
3 tsp. boiling water
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can artichoke hearts, drained
⅛ to ¼ lb. fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
1 shallot, cut into 1-inch lengths
½ to 1 cup chicken stock (add amount wanted to desired level)
1 small rosemary sprig
½ roasted red bell pepper, cut into small strips
½ cup thawed frozen peas
2 cups prepared rice
- In a large glass bowl, mix the chicken and pork with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic, and ½ tsp. paprika; season generously with salt and pepper and mix together; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. You can take a break here and resume prep after the 30 minutes passes.
- Preheat oven to 425° F; in a small heatproof bowl, mix the saffron with the boiling water and let cool completely.
- In a medium to large cast-iron casserole pan, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over high heat until shimmering; add in the chicken/pork mixture and cook, stirring occasionally until well browned but not cooked through completely.
- Add the artichokes, beans, remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally until all is lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- Push the mixture to one side of the pan and reduce to heat to medium; add in the remaining clove to minced garlic and ½ tsp. paprika, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and shallots, mixing all ingredients together; stir frequently until vegetable mixture is coated in a thick sauce.
- Stir in chicken/pork mixture and add chicken broth and brewed saffron; bring all to a boil over moderately high heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until slightly reduced (about 5 minutes).
- Add rosemary sprig and any additional salt and pepper and/or broth you feel may be needed.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes to fuse flavors together; remove from oven and scatter roasted red pepper and peas on top and bake for another 3 minutes.