Bavarian Lentil Soup ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from The Wanderlust Kitchen)
4 to 8 slices of bacon, roughly chopped
½ c. diced onion
½ c. diced leeks (white parts only)
½ c. diced celery
½ c. diced carrots, unpeeled
1 qt. chicken broth
1 c. brown lentils
1 tsp. thyme
2 bay leaves
½ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. garam marsala
2 c. diced raw potatoes, unpeeled
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
Salt to taste
· Heat a dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat; cook the bacon until the fat has rendered into the pot and the bacon is crispy.
· Add the onion, leeks, celery, and carrots to the pot; sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden.
· Pour in the broth and scrape any brown bits on the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon; add the lentils, thyme, bay leaves, pepper, and garam marsala; cook for 30 minutes on medium, covered.
· Add the potatoes and cook an additional 20 minutes, or until lentils and vegetables are tender; using an immersion blender (or regular blender if you don’t have an immersion blender), blend until there is approximately 1/3 of the veggies left intact.
· Stir in vinegar and sugar, then salt to taste.
· Serve warm with bread and butter or naan.