Beefy Mexican Casserole ala ~DKBB~
(original recipe from The Wanderlust Kitchen)
1 bag tortilla chips or Fritos -OR- substitute with a masa harnia crust*
1 medium onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 lb. lean ground beef
½ to 1 can black beans, drained
½ tsp. garlic salt
½ tsp. smoked paprika
1 to 2 tsp. cumin
1 to 2 tsp. turmeric
1 to 2 tsp. Mexican oregano
¼ to ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 16 oz. jar salsa of choice
1 sm. can green chilis
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 c. pepperjack cheese, shredded
1 2.2 oz can sliced or diced black olives, if desired
3 large green onions, thinly sliced
¼ c. chopped cilantro, if desired
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Place tortilla chips or Fritos in food processor and pulse into fine crumbs; pour in melted butter and continue to pulse until well combined.
- Press into bottom of 9x13 baking dish; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown; set aside to cool a bit.
*Masa Harnia Crust
½ c. butter, softened
⅓ c. masa harnia
¼ c. water
1½ c. frozen corn, thawed (I prefer petite white corn)
⅓ c. sugar
2 Tbsp. whipping cream
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter until creamy; add masa harina and water; mix well; add frozen corn and mix well (if desired, you can run the corn through a food processor to grind it up a bit).
- In separate bowl combine cornmeal, sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder; add to corn/flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Press into a 9x13 baking dish; bake 15 minutes; set aside to cool a bit.
- In large skillet, brown the hamburger, adding in onion, peppers, and spices; cook, stirring to break up the hamburger into small clumps, until the peppers are soft and the meat is no longer pink; drain off excess fat.
- Pour the salsa into a large bowl, adding the black beans, green chilis, meat mixture, 1 c. of pepperjack cheese, ½ c. cheddar; mix well.
- Scrape entire mixture onto the cooked crust; sprinkle remaining cheeses over the top.
- Bake at 375° F for 30 minutes.
- Serve with green onions and cilantro for garnishment.